5 Card Stud poker: introduction to the game, basic rules and simple strategy
If you are a fan of gambling, then you must have played poker. Several million players join the poker industry every year. Gaming tables in online and live casinos are always packed with people, tournaments are held daily and once a year the largest poker tournament takes place – World Series Poker. Hearing about poker, many people think of Hold’em or Omaha or sometimes, 5 card draw poker games. Yes, these two games are the most popular, but there are still many types of poker that differ from each other by the rules. Today we’ll talk about 5 Card Stud poker.
This game appeared in 1965 and is now not at the peak of its popularity. However, the game has it’s own audience around the world. The rules of 5 Card Stud poker are different from other poker games, but the win conditions are the same for all poker games – beat your opponents’ combination and grab a pot.
5 Card Stud poker rules and combinations
The rules of 5 card stud poker are similar to Texas Hold’em. A minimum of 2 people can play at the table. At the beginning of the round, all players make a bet depending on the table limits – ante. After that, the dealer gives each player 2 cards, one of which is face down and the other face up. What is shown on the hidden card is known only to the owner of the hand. After all players have received cards, the first betting round begins. You can call, raise and fold.
After the bets, the dealer gives all players one more open card and the bets are repeated. In the next round, all players receive a fourth open card, and in the fifth round, the last open card. When everyone has five cards, the remaining players at the table make final bets and open a hidden card. The player who has collected the strongest combo takes the pot.
The hands in 5 Card Stud poker are the same as in Texas Hold’em:
- Royal flush. Ace, King, Queen, Jack and 10 suited.
- Straight flush. 5 consecutive suited cards.
- Four of a Kind. 4 cards with the same value.
- Full house. 3 identical cards + 2 identical cards.
- Flash. 5 suited cards.
- Straight. 5 consecutive cards of any suit.
- Three of a Kind. Three identical cards.
- Two pairs. 2 pairs of 2 identical cards.
- A pair. 2 identical cards.
- High card. The strongest card.
This is what combinations look like in standard 5 Card Stud. If you have already played Omaha or Hold’em, then they should be familiar to you.
5 Card Stud poker winning strategy
If you are a beginner, here are some simple tips to help you win 5 Card Stud Poker:
- Play only strong combos. No need to try to bluff or hope that the opponent’s face down card is weak.
- Monitor other players. In a few games, you can understand who plays only the most powerful combos, and who loves an all-in with one pair.
- Do not play from face up cards. Always remember that the player has another card that can ruin everything for you.
- Do not raise a weak hand. With this tactic, with a long game you are guaranteed to go bankrupt.
- Do not be fooled by emotions. Take only well-considered steps and bets.
Following this simple strategy will significantly increase your chances of picking up a bank.