To make sure that everything would work as expected, I laser cut 5 layers of ~3mm cardboard so that I could glue them and approximate the thickness of the wood (15 mm). I tested the mechanism with the remaining two standoffs of the previous press (the ones for the new one will be smaller in length). After that I glued the pieces as I will do with the wood – this was useful as a “rehearsal” of how to use the clamps. Finally I found two straws that I used as a replacement of the slightly more complex system that I’ll have for the wooden version. It was cool to see that everything worked OK – the only problem had to do with the file formats and scaling, but wasn’t not very difficult to solve.