Established in the mid 19th century in the USA, Stud is a classic poker game. Unlike other popular versions, Stud is an “open” one offering the opportunity to each player see most of the cards on the table. This way, players can gain insight into the strength of their opponents’ hands and make better decisions. However, first of all, you must know the winning hands in 5 Card Poker in order to be effective in any given game situation.
Despite the fact that Five-Card Stud was supplanted by the seven-card variation of this game, it is still played in some places. You can find 5 Card Stud at various online casinos and poker rooms to play for fun or for real money. So, read on to find out about all the important features of this game.
How to Win in 5 Card Stud
This game uses a standard 52-card deck. Since each player is dealt 5 cards, the maximum number of players at the table cannot exceed 10. Before you start, you should learn the rules of the game.
5-Card Stud Rules Explained
As in a classic poker game, the cards are dealt clockwise in turn. Actions take place as follows:
- Each player must place ante to the pot. This is the initial bet that is required to participate in the game.
- Each player receives two cards – the first one face down and the second one face up – then the first betting round begins.
- Next, each player receives the third, fourth and fifth cards, all face up. Before each of these cards is dealt, the first, second and third betting rounds take place. After the fifth card is dealt to each player, the final betting round takes place.
- Now, it’s time to compare winning hands in 5 Card Poker (Stud) to determine the winner – that’s all there is to know about how to play Five Card Stud initially.
However, the decisions you make in the game should depend on what combination you have. So, you need to know Stud hand rankings.
Stud Poker (5 Cards) – Win the Game Knowing about Hand Rankings
Since we are dealing with a classic game, standard poker hand rankings apply. Here are some of the highest combinations in this game:
- Royal Flush is the most powerful combination that has an A-K-Q-J-10 pattern – all cards are of the same suit.
- Straight Flush is also among the strongest winning hands in 5 Card Poker (Stud) – probably your poker tutor told you about this combination – featuring five cards of the same suit in sequence.
- Four of a Kind is a more likely to hit combination consisting of 4 cards of the same rank and the fifth of any card. As a rare hand, FOAK is still one of the top 5 Card Poker winning hands.
- Full House is a hand that can be obtained by collecting 3 cards of the same rank and the other two cards of a pair. Use poker probability calculator to calculate your odds of hitting this combination.
- Flush. With 5 cards of the same suit, this hand will provide you with good winning odds. Since these cards don’t have to go in sequence, the chance of hitting Flush is pretty high.
As for other winning hands in 5 Card Poker, there are many tables and charts on the internet with detailed information including odds and probabilities. Use free Stud trainers and probability calculators to improve your game in practice without investment.